Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tony and Justin travel back in time to medieval Ireland to investigate leprechaun deaths


               We don’t speak Gallic.  We don’t speak Scottish.  We don’t speak English.  We understand some English, which is great if you’re on a passive listening tour of New South Wales; were not; we don’t know where we are.
          Tony and I have settled in at O’Muddycheeks house.  We have been giving everyone these surnames, if that's what they are called, O' this and O' that.  I am not sure that is even what a sur-name is, nor am I sure O' this or O' that would be historically or ethnologically accurate.  For all we know these assumedly pale folk could be proto-Huns, or Rus or what-ever-the-fuck-ish.  O'Muddysheeks has the biggest living room and best food and so there we sit.  Tony stopped drinking the first night; too much debris in the fucking whisky.
            “I think a leprechaun dropped a hay ball in my shit” he says.  He’s calling everything his shit now.  His shoes are his ‘shit’, I guess he still misses Africa, BC.  We have started blaming everything on the leprechauns as an inside joke to ourselves, a sort of self-ironic act that will not let us divorce ourselves from the madness that is time traveling backward.  The itch in my junk is just a leprechaun, sprinkling nettles in my shorts, and has nothing to do with me banging the witch every morning.  I don’t have to spell it out do I?  O’shitlip’s wife is taking us to where the leprechauns have been killing her babies, dashing them on a rock.  Poor O’shitlip’s wife has lost her last two kids to the short green men.  Then there’s Old Ben Have-a-bunch-more.  Great guy, happy, big family, wealthy I guess for this part of the old country.  7 girls, oldest is 19, youngest is 8.  Tony wants to take the three oldest ones back with us; wish it worked that way.  He’s a genuinely happy guy, looks more German than that sick, tiny, mopey looking Irish bullshit gene you see everywhere out here.
            At the meeting I try to stop it.  Tony feels it.  He has been chewing some weed the witch gave him, it’s like nicotine I guess, he says its like shitty speed.  I suppose it’s the closest thing you can come to a drug here besides drinking poison.  Everyone is gathered.  I hold the meeting at night by a big fire.  I get the look from Tony, like, its not too late to change the plan. 
            "Dude, are we not here to teach these fuckers how to fish?  Whats gonna happen if we go around killing all the supposedly ‘guilty’ people, no, it has to be this way." I tell him.
            ”I know" he says, but still, neither of us believe it.  I tell assembled hamlet that there are traitors in our mistsdists(sp?).  I had the witch help me with a pyrotechnic.  I thought about being honest, about telling them they can't blame teen pregnancy and burnt food on the supernatural to avoid being beaten.  I think about saying, hey, instead of making up little green men doing your dirty work for you, killing deformed kids or retards or unwanted pregnancies, why don’t you see if you can organize a cooperative of barren women or old maids who might want a little kid to love and care for and why not have the families that have 'donated' the children instead of killing them, maybe help out with repairs every so often and a few potatoes now and then.  I envision an archaic utopia in this shit hole of a place.  I know it won’t work.  I go for the pyrotechnics and murder instead.  Gully suggested we kill the two guys who have been braining their kids, but Ireland does not deserve that kind of justice and may never.
            In the end, through random bullshit, which seemed an appropriate face of arbitration and justice at the time, my flexible witch, 12 year old have-a-bunch-more(btw, she was not one of the three oldest we wanted to take, just in case, you know, in case you were wondering), O’no-jeans and O’laughs-too-much’s quiet brother are all the recipients of a minute, sulfur, meteorite from the sap con bat-shit, and a couple other things (none of which were probably vital to its functioning as a pyrotechnic), or as we were calling them, “Fire Faries of Truth, and hence summarily knocked out with sticks then pulled unceremoniously over the fire by two way too eager kids, Tony and myself.  It’s quicker than it could have been but not quick enough.  I tell them the fucking ‘Faries’ made a sign, marking O’shitlips as one who is guiltless, but, also as the one that the Leprechauns will try to get back into the hamlet through after we have gone.  “The Leprechauns will try to find a way in through this poor soul.  If he remains righteous, the hamlet will be spared.  If he seeks the aid of the leprechauns for perversions and favors, they will exact a child from him, and then all of your troubles will return.  If any more of his children are taken, you will know he has let leprechauns back into this clean and protected village.  But, don’t worry!  Don’t worry, this is a good man…”  then, I look long and deep into his eyes and... “No more of his children will be killed, will they O’shitlips?”
            It was a great plan, would have worked if they had understood any fucking thing we said.
            “Dude” they let us kill people and they didn’t try to stop us.”
            “Yeah, that sucked.”
            We have both lost our shoes and all of our jewelry, buttons, fuck, everything other than these night-shirt lookin things we have been wearing the last three days.  I lost my fucking crown in a bowl of porridge.
            “God Damn it!  I am really gonna miss that witch.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment